Cumberland County Food Safety & Inspections

The Food Sanitation Program is intended to ensure that food service establishments are operated in a safe and sanitary manner in order to prevent contamination by infectious agents or toxic materials. Permits are issued to all food service establishments in the county, plans are reviewed for new or extensively remodeled facilities, establishments are inspected on a routine basis set forth in the current food code, and complaints are investigated in a timely manner.

Food Permits

Annual Permits – Restaurants / Food Services / Mobile Food Services

All restaurants, retail food stores and other types of food services which will operate on a year-round basis must obtain an annual food service permit if food that is potentially hazardous will be offered or sold.

Temporary Food Permits and Seasonal Temporary Event Food Permits

Questions may be sent to

Whenever food is offered to the public during fairs, fund raisers or events lasting fewer than 14 consecutive days, you will need to apply for a Temporary Food Permit. The Cumberland County Health Department also offers a Seasonal Temporary Event Permit for those organizations and vendors who will be using the same personnel and equipment for 3 or more events in the county during the calendar year.

Cottage Food

You must have a permit to sell your homemade foods at a farmer’s market in Illinois. These may be obtained through your county of residence. There is a fee for Cottage Food permits. For basic guidelines and information, please visit:

Home Based Kitchen Operation

In 2019, Cumberland County approved an ordinance to allow home bakers to sell non-potentially hazardous baked goods such as cakes, breads, and cookies directly from home. Please register with the Cumberland County Health Department if you will be selling these items. Home Based Kitchen registrations are available at no cost.

Bake Sales

Sales of non-potentially hazardous foods such as cookies, brownies, fruit pies, cakes, and breads for a bake sale that is a fundraiser for an organization do not require food permits, but please contact the health department if you have questions.